Spring Flings

  • The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum
  • An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
  • The Devil She Knows by Bill Loehfelm
  • Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
  • The Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (book club read)
  • Death of a Pinehurst Princess by Steve Bouser
  • Still Life by Louise Penny
  • Looking at Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gilmore
  • Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (book club read)
  • Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen
  • Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Caramel pecan cookies

The other night hubby and I were watching a show on the Food Network about bakeries.  One bakery made caramel pecan cookies.  I thought that sounded yummy and I decided to give them a try.  Since Nestle doesn't make caramel bits any more I ordered them online along with the pecans.  I used the recipe from the back of a bag of Ghirardelli chocolate chips and replaced the flour with cake flour and the chips for the caramel bits and increased the proportion of brown sugar to white sugar.

2 1/4 cups cake flour        
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda              
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt                          
2 cups caramel bits
1 1/4 cups brown sugar      
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar

Stir flour with baking soda and salt.  Beat butter with sugars until creamy.  Add vanilla and eggs one at a time.  Gradually add dry ingredients until mixed.  Add bits and nuts.  Drop by tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 350^ for 13 minutes or browned.


The finished cookie is chewy and gooey.  The bits sunk to the bottom of the cookie.  Next time I will toss the bits in a little flour and that should take care of that problem.  All in all, I would have to say it was a success!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those look great! I wish I was there to try them! Nadia made a cake that had homemade caramel on it. It came out pretty good. I'm glad your keeping yourself busy!

    ReplyDelete