Spring Flings

  • The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum
  • An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
  • The Devil She Knows by Bill Loehfelm
  • Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
  • The Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (book club read)
  • Death of a Pinehurst Princess by Steve Bouser
  • Still Life by Louise Penny
  • Looking at Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gilmore
  • Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (book club read)
  • Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen
  • Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

Monday, October 31, 2011

Fall decorations

 
Hubby wanted to decorate the front of the house for fall, and create a scare crow,  so we headed down the road to The Pumpkin Patch.  They must have 25 different types of pumpkins there, from the traditional orange to squat purple ones. We loaded the back of the truck with three bales of hay, large and small pumpkins, and two corn stalks.  I went to the local thrift store and picked up an old pair of jeans, a sweatshirt and straw hat.

To make the scarecrow I stuffed plastic grocery bags with crumpled newspapers and stuffed them inside of the pants and shirt.  I then sat the pants on the glider on the porch and placed the stuffed shirt on top.  To make the head I used a piece of muslin over top a newspaper stuffed bag and tied it around the neck.  I used permanent markers to draw the face and orange yarn for hair.  To finish it off, I put my rubber boots on his feet.

Hubby stacked the hay bales and put the pumpkins around them.  He attached the corn stalks to the poles on our front porch and I weaved leaves through it.  Now if I can just figure out how to keep the scarecrows hat from blowing off in the wind....
  

No comments:

Post a Comment