Spring Flings

  • The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum
  • An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
  • The Devil She Knows by Bill Loehfelm
  • Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
  • The Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (book club read)
  • Death of a Pinehurst Princess by Steve Bouser
  • Still Life by Louise Penny
  • Looking at Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gilmore
  • Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (book club read)
  • Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen
  • Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Florida Breeze Shop Hop-stop #3

Stop #3 on the Florida Breeze Shop Hop was located in Eustis, about 30 minutes from Deland.  Mapquest had us going straight from Deland down 44A and making a right on Hart Ranch Road.  Sounds simple enough.  Once we got out of Deland the scenery turned to fields, horse ranches and old trailers.  There were eleven miles of black bear crossings.  It was not an area you'd want to break down in.

I figured that A Material Girl Quilt Shop would be located in downtown Eustis so that is where we headed.  After looking in vain for Hart Ranch Road I called the shop.  I was told to turn around and head 8 miles out of town and make a left on Hart Ranch Road.  After going the eight miles and still having no luck, I called again.  This time I was told to make a u-turn, then a right on 437, a left at the dead-end and a right on Hart Ranch Road.  We finally made it, after stopping to let a gaggle of turkeys cross the road.  The shop is located inside a barn, which is in the middle of a huge field.  Who'd a thought...

Hubby refused to get out of the car.  I went inside and mentioned that the shop was hard to find.  The owner said that the other 100 people who got there before me had no trouble.  I got my Passport stamped, filled out my ticket for the hourly prize, grabbed a package of animal crackers for hubby, my quilt square and skedaddled.

The view from the shop
In their version of the quilt, they ragged the squares. 


As I was leaving, the owner said it was easy to get back to the main road, just go out and make two lefts. I don't know if she was directionally challenged or just plain mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment