Spring Flings

  • The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum
  • An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
  • The Devil She Knows by Bill Loehfelm
  • Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
  • The Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (book club read)
  • Death of a Pinehurst Princess by Steve Bouser
  • Still Life by Louise Penny
  • Looking at Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gilmore
  • Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (book club read)
  • Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen
  • Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

Monday, September 6, 2010

Bake-off



There was a baking contest at the farmers market last Saturday.  I didn't decide to enter until Friday.  The rules were you had to bake a layer or pound cake from scratch.  Gingerbread is my specialty, but I wanted to make something more seasonal.  I chose a lemon poppy seed pound cake that I found on the Internet.

After running to the store for ingredients I changed my mind and went with a citrus pound cake that included both lemon and oranges.  I didn't have the cake flour the recipe called for so I substituted 3 tablespoons cornstarch for 3 tablespoons of the flour.  Then I couldn't find my sifter, so I used a colander. Do you smell disaster coming?

The pound cake came out fragrant and looking good.  My daughter-in-law volunteered to make the icing and she did a wonderful job of it.  We ran down to the farmers market to enter the cake without a minute to spare.  Unfortunately we did not win the best looking, or the best tasting cake.  That honor went to the Kentucky Bourbon Pound cake.  We did donate two dollars for a piece of our own creation and found it to be dry, but tasty.

Lessons learned: don't wait for the last minute, don't use an untried recipe and go for a regional favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment