Spring Flings

  • The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum
  • An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
  • The Devil She Knows by Bill Loehfelm
  • Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
  • The Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (book club read)
  • Death of a Pinehurst Princess by Steve Bouser
  • Still Life by Louise Penny
  • Looking at Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gilmore
  • Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (book club read)
  • Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen
  • Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

Sunday, September 19, 2010

On the Same Plate

Part of the Ashe County's Literary Festival was a luncheon with five North Carolina authors and one journalist.  This was the culminating event of a week full of activities such as book readings, informal discussions over lunch, writing workshops and a movie.  I went to the open discussion of the Big Fish book and the author Daniel Wallace was at the luncheon.

The folks around here are so thoughtful.  When I presented my ticket I was asked if I had a place to sit and I told Jane (the ticket taker) that no, I really didn't know anyone.  She took me right over to her table and found me a seat.  I sat next with three people that live in my neighborhood that I had never met before, one of the few woman pastors in the area, Jane, and a writer from Greensboro.

After a delicious lunch of chicken salad sandwiches there was a panel discussion amongst the authors.  They talked about the role of place in their writing.  All of the authors were humorous and their love of North Carolina was evident.  I bought two mystery books by John Hart, whose books all made the NY Times Best Seller lists.  Daniel Wallace talked about his family life growing up and how he modeled the dad in his book to the dad he had.

I had a wonderful two hours surrounded by people who have the same love of reading as I do.  I am already looking forward to next year!

From left: Jane (standing), Daniel Wallace, Fred Chappell, Robert Morgan, DG Martin, John Hart, Georgann Eubanks

No comments:

Post a Comment