Spring Flings

  • The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum
  • An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
  • The Devil She Knows by Bill Loehfelm
  • Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
  • The Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (book club read)
  • Death of a Pinehurst Princess by Steve Bouser
  • Still Life by Louise Penny
  • Looking at Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gilmore
  • Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (book club read)
  • Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen
  • Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A long week away from home

We just got back from a whirlwind week in Florida.  Our first stop was Port Orange for two nights with our son and his wife.  On our first night we went to Zen Bistro, which is an organic Thai restaurant.  I had a huge bowl of noodle soup with shrimp and steamed veggies.  It was so full of food, I ate it with a fork.

I spent Friday at a huge flea market that had a little bit of everything.  Went home with sugar coated nuts and a bag of cashews.  Then it was on to Beach Street and Let's Talk Antiques.  I was looking for  halloween costumes for me and hubby.  The store had clothes from the 40's through the 80's.  We spent over an hour just trying things on and never did get to look at all of the other marvelous items.  I did pick out the perfect dress for my costume, but you will have to wait a few weeks to find out what it is.
Let's Talk Antiques
I love Beach Street.  It is funky and has a lot of stores and restaurants that offer unique and eclectic stuff.  No chain stores there.

Saturday hubby and I went to Kissimmee to visit my parents. Dad is looking really good after his open heart surgery in July.  We had lunch at Woodsby's Countryside Cafe.  Everyone had a large salad except dad, who had country fried chicken, scrambled eggs and fried potatoes.  

The most exciting part of the weekend was the four alligators in the canal behind our son's home.  We watched one float in the water for hours.  It even came up into the back yard.  

On Sunday we headed for Deerfield Beach to help our youngest son move out of his apartment.  Teenage boys sure can be messy and we had our hands full whipping the place into shape.  About 8 PM we got out the blow-up beds and found out we did not bring the inflating gadget.  We decided to stay at a near-by hotel by the railroad tracks.  Bad decision.  Leaky toilet, stopped-up sink, TV that turned on in the middle of the night, funny smell and did I mention it was by the railroad tracks?  We won't be staying there again.

Monday morning was spent at Boca Middle visiting all of my favorite co-workers.  Molly, the media clerk, treated me to breakfast at Denny's.  (thanks Molly)  It was wonderful seeing everyone again. It felt like I had never left, especially when I patted my pocket to make sure my office keys were still attached to my waistband.

We had lunch and dinner at hubby's favorite spots, Sweet Tomatoes and Muddy Waters.  The next afternoon it was back to Port Orange for the night and then the long drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment