Spring Flings

  • The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum
  • An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
  • The Devil She Knows by Bill Loehfelm
  • Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
  • The Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (book club read)
  • Death of a Pinehurst Princess by Steve Bouser
  • Still Life by Louise Penny
  • Looking at Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gilmore
  • Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (book club read)
  • Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen
  • Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rag Quilt

Rag Quilt

I have finally finished the rag quilt I started over a year ago.  Once I got going, it went pretty fast.  It took me a while to figure out how to position the stars on each square.  Sewing the pieces together was a breeze with my new Janome sewing machine.  The machine had no problem sewing through 6 layers of fabric.

The most time consuming part was snipping the edges.  I used a pair of spring scissors, which are much easier to hold than regular scissors.  All you do is squeeze the handles together and they cut.  I had piles of string under my chair, on my clothes and floating through the house.  After putting the quilt through the washer and dryer the edges fluffed up nicely.  Although the washer and dryer were a mess of strings.
Fluffy seams
If you are not a perfect quilter, this is the project for you.  I cut the 8 1/2 inch squares with a ruler and scissors and when I pieced them together, they did not match up very well.  The seams are actually on the front of the quilt and the cut edges hide the mistakes.  Now that I have learned to use a rotary cutter, my future seams should perfect, but don't hold me to it. 

Ready to snuggle up 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment